Hey guys! Today I will tell a tale of the makeover of this little 3 tiered tea cart!

Slide to unveil!

Facebook Marketplace has been crazy lately. It’s so hard to get any of the good stuff before anyone else. You seriously need to drop. that. cash. NOW to get the good stuff, sight unseen and take a risk. I think in the Saskatoon area there’s so much competition for vintage pieces. I don’t mean that in an angry way, it’s good that the vintage market is bustling. However, to get the good pieces you seriously just need to be so snappy fast in making a decision when you see something before anyone else does. There’s no time to ask for the missing interior drawer pics or exact measurements, you have to say “I’ll take it! I can e-transfer you to claim it and pick it up when it works for you” type deal and if it doesn’t work out, sell it yourself or donate it.

Luckily I was fast enough to see this cute cart for $60 and snatched it up!

Seemed like a good deal for such a cute and rare piece! From what I can remember, I think I’ve only painted one other tea cart in 2018 (yes, memory fades as to what I’ve done since it’s been so many) and that one I did back then was a light pink. So, it made me feel kinda silly to do it again, but I felt like a blushing beige pink vs a baby pink like I did back then would be a little more classical.

I knew I had some extra paint left of my gallon in Behr’s “Heavenly Aromas” kicking around from painting a midcentury dresser and church pew in the same shade, so I decided to use that. I’m really striving for using up what I have in 2021. I have a lot of stuffS. S for emphasis.

MAKEOVER DETAILS – SEE BOTTOM OF POST FOR PRODUCTS

  • First, I had to sand this crusty lil’ bugger down. I kept calling it that because it WAS a crusty lil’ bugger. The sanding dust smelled weird too. Kindof like erasers, kindof like pickles. This piece is old, I can’t even say from when but my best guess is anywhere from the 1940s–1970s. Sanding the piece down was necessary to remove crustiness and shine and to make a nice smooth surface. I used a combo of the electric sander and the baby sander to get to the smaller areas.
  • After I removed the sanding dust by vacuuming and swiffering, next up was prime time. I sand and prime ALL of my items because they’re all vintage and always have wear to some extent. To create a beautiful uniform surface before painting, these are always my go-to steps for consistent success. Whenever you sand, you break the seal and tannins appear (stain bleed, yellowing, crackling, even as yellowing AFTER putting your sealant on and you thought it was done) so you have to block that out with stain blocking primer. 2 coats of BIN Primer did the trick. First, I edged out all the trim – there were a lot of intricate areas on this seemingly small piece. Small items take me just as long as a 9 drawer dresser. Go figure.
  • Once I finished my edging, I rolled the rest of the primer on using a mini foam roller. I like the Bennett mini foam rollers the best for using this primer, I find It to give the least amount of stipply texture that some rollers have.
  • Next up was painting time, wahoo for pink! I mixed BB Frosch paint transformer powder with my Behr Heavenly Aromas to make my own furniture chalk/mineral style paint.
  • I painted 2 coats of pink using my fave Purdy brush. Steve cut the handle down for me so that it could reach between the tiers. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
  • Next up was sealing the painted project. My go-to is Varathane Diamond Wood Finish crystal clear polyurethane. I typically use satin sheen, but this time I wanted it to be just a touch shinier so I went with semi-gloss. I feel it gives it a nice modern touch! I used a combination of a sponge with a Purdy brush to seal it.

And now this little cutie is done and out to the world! Can’t wait to see who ends up with it and what they will do with it because I can see it being used for many different things. Pop some clear plastic bins and label them for organization, bar or coffee cart, front entryway, dining room, plant stand by a window, extra out of pantry food or other storage, in the office, by the bathtub!

If you’d like to see the transformation in video mode after reading this, head to my YouTube video to see it all in action below:

Here is a visual list of the products I used:

Dani